Mt Gambier Marketplace
Client | Fabcot
Builder | Walton Constructions Queensland
Shire | City of Mount Gambier
Mount Gambier Marketplace is a large retail development located on the outskirts of Mount Gambier South Australia.
At a total project cost of $55.5 million, the site is located on Penola Road and was a large development for the shire of Mount Gambier.
Citicene were engaged by Walton Construction Queensland to provide landscape architectural services to deliver the landscape component of this project.
As Queensland based landscape architects, Citicene were able to adapt and deliver a landscape that met the local micro climatic conditions and local authority requirements.
Important considerations of the landscape included;
- Shade for central pedestrian access footpaths
- Re-vegetation of a substantial water retention and filtration basin
- Batter stabilisation planting and screening of large retaining walls
- A ‘green spine’ central driveway
- Character establishment and site identification along Penola Road through species selection and placement across the site
- Landscape Authority approvals with the local shire council
- Design in accordance with the client, builder and council requirements and budgets.
entry road palm lined ‘green spine‘
Species selection is important for any landscape. Selecting species that are native to the area where possible ensures the continuance of maintaining a local character.
For this development, certain species were required dependent on particular parameters of the site.
Some of these included;
- appropriate species for water filtration
- specimen, evergreen medium canopy shade trees for carpark areas not covered by shade sails
- local indigenous species for boundary batter planting, landscape buffering and screening of neighbouring future development.
careful species selection
retail landscapes meeting local authority requirements