An inner urban office rejuvenation project and development of an adjoining low rise tower, this project integrates the new with the old.
Fortitude Valley | Brisbane | Queensland | Australia
Centenary Square is a commercial redevelopment of a site strategically located between Brisbane’s CBD and Fortitude Valley.
The unique site is located centrally between Brisbane’s CBD and Fortitude Valley and consisted of an existing multi-storey building and adjoining carpark.
The existing 14 level tower is currently Telstra HQ and the redevelopment of the site included adding multi-storey commercial offices and carpark basement to the adjoining portion of the site.
The landscape included refurbishment of the existing building’s forecourt and integration into the surrounds of the new adjoining structure.
Consideration of the existing adjoining office tower was an important design element as the forecourt is on a podium structure. Therefore integration of an appropriate design response in accordance with structural constraints was required.
linear design response
a straight line : an endless one-dimensional figure
This design response included positioning of up-stand planter boxes at strategic locations to accentuate the linear nature of the space between the buildings.
These planter boxes were positioned inline with basement supports and also included the consideration of weight in consultation with the project Engineer.
The project also included:
- the design of an internal courtyard;
- an entry plaza;
- streetscape design in accordance with the local authority requirements;
- integration of artwork;
- equitable access from the new forecourt to the refurbished forecourt.
- columnar cotton palms strategically positioned over existing basement pylons enabled the integration of this mature vegetation to the outdoor plaza space between the two buildings.
- solid granite seats also strategically positioned to distribute weight effectively over an existing podium.
- a contemporary plant selection;
- pavement design and selection;
- streetscape design in accordance with Brisbane City Council requirements.
Attention to detail in pavement, seating and feature wall design strengthens the landscape character of this urban corporate space.
commercial landscape architectural advice