Grounds for education facilities should be a great place to gather, relax, play and learn whilst protecting children with clear sight lines and good surveillance.
The grounds of any school or childcare facility are areas to provide learning opportunities that can address needs of students from a range of perspectives.
Excellent surveillance for administration personnel, shade, ease of maintenance and robust plantings are desired landscape design principles for schools.
Needs of Students
School grounds should be environments that address the needs of students from a range of perspectives.
Student’s needs may include:
– outdoor learning;
– physical challenges;- a sense of inclusion;- a sense of ownership.
The landscape environment should also:
– provide a safe place to be;
– provide equitable access to all areas;
– allow multiple use area for a variety of activities;
– provide passive and active recreation opportunities.
Landscape Design Principles
Establishing appropriate landscape design principles at the outset of the project will assist in delivering a cohesive landscape design.
Landscape design principles to consider include:
– the existing environment, site location, topography and existing landscape elements;
– landscape character;- sense of place and ownership;- cultural backgrounds of students;
– shade, colour and spatial arrangements;
– overland flow and stormwater requirements for large areas such as sporting fields;
School grounds often have a range of uses and therefore need to be flexible and accommodate various community groups. A priority for the landscape of any educational facility is to provide an environment for learning and appreciation of the outdoors. This will assist in ensuring consistent and high performance outcomes from students.
Citicene have been involved in numerous Schools, Education facilities and Child Care Centres including the following:
> Redeemer Lutheran College
> Saint Marks Lutheran College
> Indooroopilly State High School
> Serviceton State High School
> Durack State High School
> Yeronga State High School
> Richlands State High School