Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Contemporary design with a corporate profile, Centenary Square is a commercial redevelopment of a strategically located site between Brisbane’s CBD and Fortitude Valley.
This unique site located centrally between Brisbane’s CBD and Fortitude Valley consisted of an existing highrise building and adjoining carpark.
Achieving a strong contemporary landscape with high attention to detail, this landscape included refurbishment of the existing building’s forecourt and integration into the surrounds of the new adjoining structure.
Consideration of the existing adjoining office tower was an important design consideration as the forecourt is on a podium structure. Therefore integration of an appropriate design response in accordance with structural constraints was required.
This design response included positioning of up-stand planter boxes at strategic locations to accentuate the linear nature of the space between the buildings.
These planter boxes were positioned inline with basement supports and also included the consideration of weight in consultation with the project Engineer.
The project also included:
- the design of an internal courtyard;
- an entry plaza;
- streetscape design in accordance with the local authority requirements;
- integration of artwork;
- equitable access from the new forecourt to the refurbished forecourt.
Specifically, design elements included:
- columnar Cotton Palms strategically positioned over existing basement pylons enabled the integration of this mature vegetation to the outdoor plaza space between the two buildings.
- solid granite seats also strategically positioned to distribute weight effectively over an existing podium.
- a contemporary plant selection;
- pavement design and selection;
- streetscape design in accordance with Brisbane City Council requirements.
Attention to detail in pavement, seating and feature wall design strengthens the landscape character of this urban corporate space.